Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Un-Christian

Un-Christian is a book that came out around a year ago or so, and it is written by a guy named Gabe Lyons who is the founder of the Q conference. Experts, feel free to correct me, but I think he also does Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Ga every year as well. One of his most recent accomplishments is a book that he wrote called Un-Christian. I haven't read the book, but it is on my list of books to read in the next year. The underlying message of the book (Again, experts feel free to correct me here) is that Christians often times do a lot of things that are very unchristian in effort to "Win souls" or to try to change people. I think a lot of times their intentions are good, but they have no idea how great the power of words is, and more often than not, they end up offending someone. Now, don't get me wrong here, I know that there are some things in the bible that because of what they say, may be offensive to someone who struggle with something the bible says not to do. For example, I know many people who would think be offended if I told them that gossip is a sin. But we know from the book of James that it is. All I am saying is that in effort to be a Christ -like example, we often times don't mirror Christ at all.

One shining example of this today is when James Dobson lashed out at Barrack Obama saying that he "distorted the word of God." Maybe he did, I don't know. My question is this: Is that the most appropriate way to teach people wanting to be like Christ? To call say that the senator has "Fruitcake theology?" Fruitcake theology can only come from a fruitcake, so in my opinion, he was calling Obama a fruitcake. It seems like every time I get a chance to listen to Dobson, he is always lashing out at someone, for something that he doesn't approve of. I don't understand this, and it frustrates me to no end. He may be the biggest voice for Christians in the US except for Billy Graham, and now everyone in America who hears him gets there view of Christianity from him. This bothers me.

What can we do? Continue to spread the news of jesus in a way that's relational. That all I can think of.

Today's lesson in Christianese presented in Foxworthian:

You might speak Christianese if your view of the King James bible is: "If it was good enough for Paul, it's good enough for me!"

On this random day in history:
The U.S. Air Force released The Roswell Report, closing the case on the 1947 Roswell, N.M. incident concerning UFOs and alien bodies.

Well, that's all for today!

Have a good one.

1 comments:

stephen cope said...

the book us incredible, and safe to say, it changed my life. check out "searching for God knows what" too, by donald miller. its the guy that wrote blue like jazz, so you can't go wrong, and i actually think its better.

good post man...